It’s soup season here and I’m ready for it!
Ok, let me clarify.
I’m not ready for the snow or the cold or the dark mornings. I am, on the other hand, ready for soup!
I truly love soup.
All winter long I find myself making a big pot of soup Monday and warming it up for lunch throughout the week. It’s the perfect way to get in a ton of protein, veggies, nourishment and hydration in one bowl. Not to mention it keeps me warm when my toes are frozen from the Denver winters 😀.
This is my newest and most recent favorite soup of the season. It’s filling while also feeling light and bright from the zesty broth. It feels like the perfect soup to transition from fall to winter!
While I love these flavors together, there are some options for this soup if you are looking to make some changes:
- Leave out the sausage for a vegetarian option!
- While I love the hearty kale, I have used spinach here and it’s delicious as well.
- If you are dairy free you can leave out the cream and you will still have a delicious broth from the lemon and seasoning.
Serve this on its own, or with a side salad and hunk of crusty bread for a complete dinner!
Creamy White Bean, Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 2 cans white beans (drained)
- 4 cups raw kale, cleaned and chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (more if you like more liquid)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- juice of one lemon
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat
- Cook sausage in the pot until cooked through
- Add beans
- Add broth
- Add salt to taste and red pepper flakes
- Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes
- Stir in the kale, lemon and cream
- Simmer for an additional 5 minutes until the kale is wilted into the soup