If there is a better January soup than this Nourishing Lentil Soup than I don’t know what it is!
While we have enjoyed some mild winter temperatures, we are currently in a cold snap. I have been craving warm and comforting food that I can easily pull from the refrigerator and warm up for quick lunches and dinners.
Add to that the desire to eat a little lighter after an indulgent holiday season and this Nourishing Lentil Soup is the perfect answer!
Turmeric is a known anti-inflammatory spice and is thought to help promote healing in the body. Lentils are high in protein and fiber and will help improve digestion as well as keep you full longer. The vegetable broth will help to keep you hydrated and the kale gives you all the goodies that dark leafy greens offer.
This soup is comforting, nourishing and filling! It’s the perfect way to start the new year.
Nourishing Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 -2 cups kale leaves (cut or torn into small pieces)
- salt to taste
- juice of half a lemon
- Place a stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil, turmeric and curry and toast the spices for 1-2 minuets, making sure they don’t burn.
- Add the dried lentils and toast for another minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes, coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Uncover and add the kale and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and salt to taste and enjoy!
- Use full fat coconut milk and not low fat or no fat! You will want the creaminess from the full fat. It will be separated in the can. Simply stir it all together and then measure out and add to your soup.