Our featured recipe this month is multi-purpose, easy to prepare, involves no baking, uses ingredients on hand and is adult and kid approved!
January is a time that most of us want to cleanse and detox a little after the influx of sweets over the holidays.
I find that, while I want to eat cleaner, I have a hard time going completely “cold turkey” on the sugar, so I sneak treats here and there to fill the void.
These Chocolate Banana Bites are the solution!
I mentioned they are multi-purpose, because these wonderful bites can serve as a snack, an energy boost and even dessert when you are reaching for the sugar after dinner!
The sweetness comes only from the banana and a bit of maple syrup. There are healthy fats in the flax seed and coconut, and nutrients and energy in the oats and sesame seeds.
Have two of these with a cup of tea in the afternoon as an energy boost, or have one on the side with your eggs in the morning for a sweet bite.
These are also great for the littles and perfect for school snacks and lunches!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bites
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1/4 sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mash a ripe banana in a large bowl
- Add peanut butter and maple syrup to the banana and combine
- Add all other ingredients to the bowl and combine
- With your hands, roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a plate lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Place the plate in the freezer for 30 minutes
- Store the balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days or the freezer for 2 months
- Note: if the dough is sticky, use damp hands to roll the balls